Gender question on 7 wk RIR.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by motherhenmindy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. motherhenmindy

motherhenmindy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well I'm getting worried about my RIR...not even sure it is a RIR...maybe it's just a production red, but I don't care about that. Just worried she is becoming a he.

Here she is at just shy of 7 weeks old. I have noticed her comb growing and signs of wattles and a slight pinking of these areas. If you had asked me which of my girls would have a change, she was the last on the list. She has always been quiet, docile, even as a baby chick she popped a squat anywhere and everywhere, we joked she must be the bottom of the pecking order. She was the last to get treats if at all, she will find herself alone and runs frantically after the others, she is the follower, not the leader.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have noticed that her tail feathers point up when she runs around the yard, compared to the other two...don't know if this is a roo thing or a breed thing.

[​IMG]

Here is the BR and the BO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too early to tell? Is there hope she'll stay a she?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your RIR looks identical to my RIR and I'm pretty certain I have a hen.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2. Looks like a pullet to me. My RIR roo was very, very obvious from an early age compared to my RIR pullets. By the time he was 7 weeks his comb was much larger and very red.

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    girl

5. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    the RIRs a pullet!

6. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:x2. Looks like a pullet to me. My RIR roo was very, very obvious from an early age compared to my RIR pullets. By the time he was 7 weeks his comb was much larger and very red.

Ditto with my roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by