Gender Question ** With Pictures**

LadyTurkey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
GreatFalls
Just wondering if someone could help me out here, I am still not sure of the gender of these guys. They are about 7 months old, Another Question , they seem to be very big and wide already at 7 months could they possibly be BBB even though they were sold as standard bronze? Any info or help would be great! Thanks!

P9301601 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

P9301602 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

P9301593 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

P9301592 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

P9301590 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

P9301603 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr
My 3 babies all together
smile.png
Love them

P9301600 by mrswolfe1, on Flickr

I am not sure how many you have, but most of the pictures are of hens. Hens have the white or buff tipped feathers on the breast, toms have black tips. Most of those that I can see have the white laced feathers. Mature hens also have a line of feathers up the back of their neck, toms are bald. With that wide stance, they do look more like a BBB, where did you get them? If you can catch them, feel underneath. With a heritage type, you will feel the keel and the way the ribs come up from there (like a larger version of your hens that you have there). A BB type will feel flat and well padded on either side of the keel.

Editing to add that I looked at your message and saw that you have 3... I think all hens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply. When we feel their chests their breasts are massive....to me at least i dont know if the average turkey person would find it the same. What is the keel? We got them at a feed store. They were being sold as standard bronze.

Last edited:
Quote:
The keel is the breast bone. If the ribs slope up from there it's a standard bronze. If it feels flatter and really bulky it's probably a broad breasted. A heritage turkey pretty much has the same type of build as a layer hen. How much were they selling them for? Usually heritage turkeys go for a higher price so that's kind of a clue too.

Im not sure how much they were selling them for, I will have to ask my husband when he gets home, maybe he remembers. The only think i know is that they were more expensive then the chicks. I will be kind of upset if they are big breasted bronze.....we bought them under the impression that they were a standard bronze. Can a heritage Tom mate with them naturally? Because I had heard that a BBB Tom wouldnt be able to.

Hi.

They look like my BBB's and they all look like hens.

The BBB's cannot reproduce unless artificially inseminated.

Do they waddle like a woman who is 9 months pregnant with twins when they walk?
tongue.png

~Tammy

Back
Top Bottom