Gender question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by camper82, Nov 16, 2016.

1. camper82

camper82 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This assumed male is a 13 week EE and Red sex linked mix. It has no signs of saddle or hackle feathers though. Should it not be developing those at this point if it is a cockerel?

2. camper82

camper82 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. PrettyChickens

PrettyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Hi!
    It took my roo almost 4 months before he started crowing and showing signs of hackles, sickles and a manly comb[​IMG]
    Hope your roo works out for you.

4. PrettyChickens

PrettyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    If he dose not start crowing or mating your hens at around 6 to 7 months I don't think you have a Rooster

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some boys don't have really visible saddle feathers till they are about 14 to 16 weeks.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Mixed breeds can be a bit harder to tell by combs.

Hard to see the feathering, but looks like a pullet to me. Although, there is a red spot near the shoulder that looks suspiciously like something a boy would get. But if @junebuggena isn't venturing a guess, I wouldn't count on my opinion... she's got way more experience then me! [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm not doubting it's a boy. I'm saying that 13 weeks is still pretty early to expect obvious male feathering.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I get that, good to know...... I didn't get if you actually thought it was a boy or if you meant wait a little while?

I am still learning as well... and consider experience to be the mother of all teachers. [​IMG]

All my cockerels try to mate around 4 months. And the ones who didn't have crowing examples because they were the first and only started crowing way later than the next ones who had very clear examples.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by