Gender question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanFarming, Mar 4, 2014.

1. UrbanFarming

UrbanFarming Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have been reading a lot of old threads and I'm starting to drive myself crazy. I bought "sexed" day old female chicks (you wouldn't call them hens yet right?) at my local feed store. My 2 Barred Rocks are now 2 weeks old. I was reading old posts that said if the white spot on the top of their head is smudgy then they are males. I also read that males are lighter and their wing feathers grow in white with black bars as opposed to black with white bars. Both mine have smudgy white spots but the wing feathers came in black and are just starting to get white bars. Could these possibly be males? Can't have any roos in city limits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UrbanFarming

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Whoops.. I see there is a forum for "what breed or gender is this?" I should have posted there. My bad!

3. LPeaslee

LPeaslee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    That BR looks just like my males except for the tail feathers, yours is quite a bit longer.

3 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. UrbanFarming

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Oh no! Out of a brooder full of "sexed females" I may have brought home 2 out of 2 males?!?! Only I would do something like that.

5. LPeaslee

LPeaslee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your chick is feathering in very dark, which is a female trait. Notice in the previous posters pic, the white bars are much wider, when older the males have much lighter plumage. Females also usually have a dark wash down the front of their legs, like your chick. The girls are supposed to have a sharp white spot, but I've noticed that sometimes (especially with hatchery chicks) they're smudged like the boys.

Anyway, I think you have a pullet as well :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. UrbanFarming

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thank you both! I feel relieved. So @howfunkyisurchicken , are female chicks pullets? I thought pullets were older chicks before they started laying. I'm new to the chicken lingo. Would they become hens once they lay an egg?

8. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    A pullet is a female chicken under one year old. Whether a newborn chick or a 9 month old layer, technically they are pullets.[​IMG]

ps I think it looks like a female.

9. UrbanFarming

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thank you for filling me in on the correct terms! And I'll keep my fingers crossed that they're females. At least now I can relax a little. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by