Gender question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kirachick, Aug 21, 2014.

1. kirachick

kirachick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Marton, New Zealand
    Hello, I've got mixed breeds.
    The red ones are supposed to be red leghorns, but number 2 has definately something else in it.
    The black ones are black orpington/ shaver crosses and the white ones are shaver/white leghorn crosses.
    I just moved them around yesterday and took the opportunity to take pictures of each of them.

1.)
    [​IMG]
    (the red one is a leghorn in it i was told. He/she is my favorite so far and I will keep it no matter what. I think it might be a rooster from the behaviour. what do you think?)

2.)
    [​IMG]
    (This one is a bit crazy. I have absolutely no idea what this chicken is supposed to be! It has funny little bits of fluff sticking out from its cheeks and its red/grey/white/black. She came out of the same lot as number 1 and i would already be happy to know what breeds it might have in it :D The picture is not that great but I didn't have time to try and take a better one)

3.)
    [​IMG]

4.)
    [​IMG]

5.)
    [​IMG]

6.)
    [​IMG]

7.)
    [​IMG]

I have three more, but they look very similar to the other black and white ones.
    Most important to me are the two reds as they were my first. If the pictures aren't good enough to identify what they are, don't worry. I think I'm just too impatient, but the red ones should start laying by the end of october/ beginning of november.
    The other ones are about 3 weeks older than the red ones so they are not far off as well and I guess the easiest way to find out what they are is to see if they lay eggs :D

I hope someone can help me with one or two of them :)
    My next lot of chickens will hatch in 3 weeks (in the incubator since yesterday) and they will be araukana, black langshun, blue buffs and sussex.
    Exiting!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So about how old are they? If they are all less than 16 weeks old, then I would say that #2, #4, and #5 are probably roosters. That is based on comb/wattle development and the patchy red coloring on #2's wings (a common cockerel trait). Full profile photos of each bird would help be sure of this, though.

3. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

2-4-5-7 look like cockerels IMO :)

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

#2 looks to be an easter egger...they generally have the muffs (cheek/beard feathers)...plus pea combs. Based on things already mentioned, I'd guess the same as Basskids08...

5. kirachick

Aug 3, 2014
    Marton, New Zealand
    number 1 and 2 are 11 1/2 weeks old and the others a bit over 8 weeks.
    I will try and take some full body pictures soon.
    That's interesting! :) These are my first chickens and I would've guessed 1 would be a chicken and 2 a rooster.
    Thanks so far!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    2, 4, 5, and 7 are all looking like cockerels to me.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well they're ALL chickens...lol. For future reference, pullets are female chickens under a year, hens over a year. Cockerels are males below a year, and roosters are over a year.

And we're guessing based solely on these pics, whereas you can see personality, leg/foot size, attitude, etc...

8. kirachick

Aug 3, 2014
    Marton, New Zealand
    Hey guys! :)
    They are now finally old enough to know 100% which is which!
    1) Hen
    2.) Rooster
    3.) Hen
    4.) Rooster
    5.) Rooster
    6.) Hen
    7.) Rooster

I really thought 1 would be a rooster and 2 a hen, but judging by their neck feathers you guys were right!! :)
    Number 2 has wooonderful pointy neck feathers and he turned quite silvery! He looks really weird, but pretty in his own way :)
    Once my chicken run is set up (in a week i think) i will try and take some good pictures of them :)

Learned something again: you never know what you get until its really obvious :D

Thanks to everyone who had a guess!

9. kirachick

Aug 3, 2014
    Marton, New Zealand
    [​IMG]

This is the funny looking rooster.Hes all silvery now. He does look a bit weird, but I think in a pretty way :D
    (The one on the left is my hyline/red shaver dross hen, the last one that hatched.)
    The red chicken did turnout to be a hen! I got my first egg yesterday!!! So exited!!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He's quite handsome! [​IMG]

Congrats on the egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by