1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender questionable..What do you think? PICS.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by homecatmom, Sep 9, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm starting to have a suspicion that at least one and possibly two of my birds are not going to be egg layers. Please have a look at the pics and tell me what you think. The first pic is of all 4 waiting for their afternoon treat.
    [​IMG]

The next is Oprah and Tina going after poor daughters toes. (I did tell her not to wear flip-flops around them!)
    [​IMG]

Last is Tina chilling on daughters lap.
    [​IMG]

So everyone, any boys in the group that you see? If there are, they will have to be eaten at the first crow since one neighbor already called the city on me. I won that arguement and get to keep up to 23 hens, but one cock-a-doodle-doo and she will have them on me like fly on stink.

2. katmae77

katmae77 Out Of The Brooder

Can you take some better pictures of their combs? It is really hard to see. Kathy

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your Barred Rocks are pullets. You know by their coloring because they look more black than silvery like a cockerel would. Can't see the RIR's well enough to tell in that picture.

4. homecatmom

Thanks speckledhen, I was hoping they were pullets, one of the Rir's looks completely different. I have been looking at the tails, one up one down, and the neck feathers are different on the two of them. I will try and get better pictures in the morning.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's a hint. Look at the legs. A cockerel has thicker legs. I had a RIR brother and sister and could tell at four weeks old.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Homecatmom,

i raised two RIRs this summer, both girls. One kept her tail up, the other down. One got bigger faster, had huge feet, and was fairly aggressive, the other was passive. They both turned out to be girls, though. Oh wait, let me look for a picture!

Here it is, these are both girls. Does this help?
    [​IMG]

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They all look like pullets to me. There is no doubt the barred rocks are pullets.

8. homecatmom

Thanks for the pics Airheart. They look just like my birds. I'm thinking they may all be girls now. They are doing some things that I was thinking roo by other peoples posts. Chest bumping...what I call piggy-back riding...neck stretching way up.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The RIR on the left, the one with the tail up, are the neck feathers pointy?

The barred rocks are definately pullets.

10. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    How did you go about winning over the county? Just want to know b.c im not sure if we are really allowed to have chickens here and I want to be able to argue my way out of having them taken away if I get in trouble!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by