1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender questions and hopefully images

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by funnybirds, Nov 3, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I was wondering if some of the chicken experts could please tell me if I have a few roos happening in my coop.[​IMG]
    I have a GLW who is named Nucky.
    2 EE's named Violet and Daffodil. (Daffodil is one of the chicken genders in question)
    and 2 Hatchery bred Cochins, Iris and Buttercup. (they are all hatchery bred, actually)
    I've tried to get a few shots at different views hoping you guys might be able to tell.
    If behavior is a clue, Nucky and Daffodil spend a lot of time chest bumping and running each other down. Violet just talks a lot...Buttercup is hardley containable. Full of wonder and attitude.
    I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you need more pictures...these are the best of 2 dozen. Chickens are a humbling photgraphy subject. [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All are girls so far except the Gold Laced Wyandotte, and one of your EE's is a boy. (the one on the right first photo, which I'm assuming is the same as the one in the third photo)

The EE's comb is getting bigger, and his color is not something a female carries.

The GLW has pretty red and big comb/waddle set going.

3. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Is there any chance that they might all be hens? Silly question I know but...
    Ohhh, my DD will be so upset. Nucky is one of her favorites. We just can't keep roosters here. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before. Although this won't be a crisis, it will be inconvenient. (I have a home lined up already. )
    So much for the hatcheries "90%" success rate with gender ID.
    By my calculations, out of the three they sent, two were roos. Even with the new math this is a 33% "success rate."
    I imagine I am not the first to figure this out. D'OH!
    [​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    That GLW is a boy for sure

5. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Does anything change if I mention they are only 5 weeks old?

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:This last question smacks of despiration!!!!! [​IMG] But I know how you feel I live in town too.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    5 weeks old just points out all the more that the EE and the GLW are boys. But, you still at least have an EE girl in there. [​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Nucky's rose comb is much to big at five weeks to be a pullet... Sorry. [​IMG]

9. paulette p

paulette p Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2007
    If you haven't noticed, chickens are great at giving, what I like to call "chicken eye"...looks like your birds have that trait as well...great pictures!![​IMG]

10. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:I loved this one...but it was a little too blurry.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by