Gender questions and hopefully images

funnybirds

Songster
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I was wondering if some of the chicken experts could please tell me if I have a few roos happening in my coop.
idunno.gif

I have a GLW who is named Nucky.
2 EE's named Violet and Daffodil. (Daffodil is one of the chicken genders in question)
and 2 Hatchery bred Cochins, Iris and Buttercup. (they are all hatchery bred, actually)
I've tried to get a few shots at different views hoping you guys might be able to tell.
If behavior is a clue, Nucky and Daffodil spend a lot of time chest bumping and running each other down. Violet just talks a lot...Buttercup is hardley containable. Full of wonder and attitude.
I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks for looking!

69953_nucky_and_violet_and_daffodil.jpg

69953_nuckys_back.jpg

69953_daffodill.jpg

69953_nucky_up_front_daffodil_on_brick.jpg

69953_iris_and_buttercup.jpg

69953_buttercup_from_the_top.jpg

Please let me know if you need more pictures...these are the best of 2 dozen. Chickens are a humbling photgraphy subject.
wink.png

All are girls so far except the Gold Laced Wyandotte, and one of your EE's is a boy. (the one on the right first photo, which I'm assuming is the same as the one in the third photo)

The EE's comb is getting bigger, and his color is not something a female carries.

The GLW has pretty red and big comb/waddle set going.

Is there any chance that they might all be hens? Silly question I know but...
Ohhh, my DD will be so upset. Nucky is one of her favorites. We just can't keep roosters here. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before. Although this won't be a crisis, it will be inconvenient. (I have a home lined up already. )
So much for the hatcheries "90%" success rate with gender ID.
By my calculations, out of the three they sent, two were roos. Even with the new math this is a 33% "success rate."
I imagine I am not the first to figure this out. D'OH!
barnie.gif

5 weeks old just points out all the more that the EE and the GLW are boys. But, you still at least have an EE girl in there.
smile.png

If you haven't noticed, chickens are great at giving, what I like to call "chicken eye"...looks like your birds have that trait as well...great pictures!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom