Gender sex on mixed reds?

admhotel

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Rome, Ny
Got these chicks about 8 weeks ago from TSC, label called them mixed reds. Not sure what breed they might be or gender. The all brown ones look all alike, and the brown/ white ones look alike so... Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want some more chickens but it depends on how many hens we already have.

the all brown ones

Brown and white ones
thanks alot
big_smile.png

I would say your Red Sex Links (brown and white ones) are pullets. They look like mine did last year. I think the boys would be all white with maybe some splotches of red. The buff ones could be Buff Orpingtons. But I did not know they would be sold as an assorted red? I can't say what sex the buff ones are though. Hopefully someone will come along soon and help you out!
smile.png

ETA ~
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Nice to know what they actually are
smile.png
I thought the colored ones were pullets, I am worried about the other ones being all roos.
hide.gif

Don't worry just yet. Some breeds will produce hens with large combs and waddles. But like I said ... I'm not positive on the buff ones. You may need to post some full body pics for us to see them better. Boys will have different feathering than girls. They also have different body shapes and carry themselves different.
wink.png

The Buff ones are boys-Buff Minorca or Buff Orpington.There is not breed of chicken who's hens have so big comb at age 8-10 weeks.Hen's comb grow big after age of 4-5 monts

Back
Top Bottom