Gender swap chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by xxkirsty&herchickensxx, Aug 15, 2010.

1. xxkirsty&herchickensxx

xxkirsty&herchickensxx In the Brooder

About 2 months ago I rescued 5 ex batts, they all seemed like hens, but I noticed that one was extremly vocal, clucking loudly,not crowing, andas it got healthier, I also noticed its comb,earlobes and wattle were HUGE! I thaught this was a result of battery farming, but the other 4 look normal now [​IMG] so this morning I went out to feed the flock, and confermed that ovenready (I dont eat chicken by the way, When we got him or her it had no feathers!) was indeed a cockrel, but when we got them, they were all hens! thankfuly he thinks hes a hen, but Ill keep him, hes loud but whos to complain, the next feilds sheep?
    does anybody else have/know about gender-swapping chickens!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    He has always been a roo. I would guess that the hatchery incorrectly sexed him as a day old chick, and the battery people didn't catch the little guy either. Most hatcheries only get 90 to 95 percent accuracy when sexing chicks, so rather often there is a roo in with the pullets.

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    The last hatchery I bought from gave me 3 roo's out of 10 chicks - not very good odds! [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    chickens can and sometimes DO change sex.... happens more in a flock of all girls, where one dominant hen will take over the role of roosters....

can also happen when a hen gets an infection in her ovary tract or old and not producing the female hormone anymore...

5. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Quote:ROFL...I just had a vision of an older hen 'going through the change' and having a hot flash and getting cranky! [​IMG]

6. xxkirsty&herchickensxx

xxkirsty&herchickensxx In the Brooder

Im also planning on getting a younger roo, will this make him be more "manly" or will he just carry on thinking hes a hen? :S whats with me and getting odd pets [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Just to get this straight...a hen CANNOT physically change into a roo. In a flock of hens one can become dominate taking on roo characteristics and actually start to crow but she cannot physically change sex organs. Some fish and invertabrates can pull off that stunt but not birds.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I had a hen with an ovarian tumour who first laid soft eggs then no eggs, then wattles and comb took on masculine appearance.

She looked like a rooster but was not functional (of course)

Loss of oestrogens causes a male appearance,

sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by