Gender, the dreaded EasterEggers.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mwewe, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    The Easter-egger (75% Ameraucana, 25% BCM) I hatched turned 8 weeks old today. I'm pretty sure she's a girl, as she has no cone development so far, and her feet are becoming more proportional. Just checking what you guys think. She is the rowdiest chick I have, very bossy and fussy— personality wise, we were positive she was a roo.
    Also, will she lay blue or olive eggs? The guy I bought the eggs from said blue.
    Here is Einstein!!

[​IMG]

Since I only had one egg out of 13 hatch, I bought a female Buff Orpington, Pascal, who will be trained to be a therapy animal for veterans, and a welsummer, Hawking, who is also female. After that, I rescued an Ameraucana chick (but I think it's an Easter egger, too). I'm really not sure on the gender for this one.
    Here is Darwin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Both look like pullets! They're pretty.

I think that Einstein would lay blue eggs, but I'm not positive. I guess you'll know when you get the first egg. [​IMG]

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I think both are girls. Depending how the genes line up she could lay either color, or even green.

4. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    And one more "Family Photo"
    [​IMG]

5. Mwewe

Mwewe Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    I was so bummed, I thought I would have had to get rid of them. But now, I'm so happy!! Darwin is my second favorite!! She loves to cuddle and is the most comical out of my bunch. She lived by herself for the first two weeks before I brought her in to my flock. I think that has something to do with why she loves hanging out with me when the other three are having fun free-ranging.

With how social she is, I might make her a therapy bird too. I wanted to wait until I knew I could keep her before investing the time.

6. Jasonp7007

Jasonp7007 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Somerville Texas
    Looks like you have an awesome lil flock there. I have 2 EE's. I was hoping one would be a roo & the other a hen. They are both about 2 months old. The last few weeks, Bingo (that's the name the lil neighbor boys gave him), has been starting to try and crow, so it worked out perfect. Also, the comb on Bingo looks a lot different than on Somita (the hen). If it wasnt him him trying to crow, as far as looks really go, I wouldn't have a clue who was who.

7. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    They look like lovely pullets!!! [​IMG]

My guess would be that Einstein will lay an aqua colored egg, not the true clear blue but kinda close...assuming the Ameraucauna side was laying the true blue to begin with. And if not aqua...I think it'll be green because the BCM eggs are so dark even thought it's just 25%.

I'm really interested to hear what she does lay. Please update us when she starts to lay!! So exciting!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by