gender vs price

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Jan 26, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    hello everyone i was planning on getting ducks sometime in february or march, but i have one problem. my local store is selling all the breeds i want, they also are a good price. but they dont sex their birds, they just sell straight run. there are the online hatcheries that sell birds and you can pick the gender, but they are more money. i was going to get 4 pekin females, 1 buff male and 1 buff female, 1 male campbell and 1 female campbell, 1 either rouen or mallard male and female. i already have 2 female pekin/mallard/blue swedish cross and 3 male pekin/mallard/blue swedish cross. i would like females to outnumber males.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You need 4-6 females per male or else the females will be overbred. Drakes will gang up on ducks and can and have killed them.

It looks like you plan on getting 10 new ducks. With the 5 you already have, 3 being male, all of your new ducks should be female unless you plan on having seperate housing and runs for each breed. Even then, some drakes are just too much for 1 duck. It is MUCH better to at least have trios but then still, you would not want to run them all together. It isn't just about money. If you get 10 straight run ducklings and end up wth 7 males, what would you do with them? If you have no problem giving them away (if you can't find a buyer) or processing and eating them then get straight run, otherwise spend more, get what you should have to make their lives better.

1 person likes this.
  3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    would it hurt them. ive had worse ratios in the past and they have been okay EXCEPT when i had 5 males and 1 female and the 1 female was bred to death. also i am the only person in my area that would want any ducks at all.

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I think you just answered your own question.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, you know obviously the outcomes when ratios get skewed. Pay the extra in the long run it far outweigh the costs of having to many drakes. [​IMG]

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    With the cost of shipping for 10 ducklings from a hatchery, you won't be too much more than your local feed store and you'll have the genders you want. And can make it so you have the genders you need to prevent overbreeding and any more deaths.
    With the 3 boys you already have, one more male would be the MAX you should bring in for boys and even then, you'd be better off with just the 3 boys you have. That puts you at a 1:4 ratio if you just purchase all girls.

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would suggest paying the extra and getting the genders you want. In the long run, it's always worth it! (from my experience anyways)
    You can have 2 females for every male and be ok, but it is better for the females if you can keep that number high (3-5 is ideal)
    I have had EXCELLENT luck and customer service in the past ordering from Metzers. I only had a couple of ducklings not make it and they refunded me asap when I called. But I've found that if you spend the extra $4-5 for grow gel, they all arrive in perfect condition :)

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I do understand why you want to get straight run... to save money. I ordered some ducklings from metzers and ordered 1 pair of blue runners, 1 pair of chocolate, 4 straight run welsh harlequin, and 2 straight run mixed ducklings (to fill the box) I am prepared to be seperating to protect the females, and sell/eat extra males. Straight run is perfectly fine as long as you do so. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by