Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gingerchick1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. gingerchick1

gingerchick1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Hi! I'm a first time chicken owner. I got these from TSC (3 weeks ago this Friday). I know it's early but can anyone tell if they are pullets or cockerels? Thanks
    Also I was told Rhode Island reds. Do you think that's correct? The 3 yellow ones are bantams. Silkie, Frizzle and ? Any help would be appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know much about RIR's and how they grow up and feather out but #4 does not looks like a RIR with that patterning! and same with #2 since it has white? #3 is not a RIR but perhaps could be a Rhode island white?
    It does look like you have a white frizzle and white silkie for sure, thats good <3
    As far as genders, silkies take a bit lonfer but I put my vote in the dude catergory. Out of the 4 silkies I hatched a few weeks ago, the smaller crested ones are dudes.
    The frizzle looks pretty pullety from this angle, same with what I assumed to be a RIW, and the First RIR. The second RIR and the patterned one have suspicously large combs for that young age.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    #1 is a Rhode Island Red. #2 is a red sexlink pullet. #4 is a Production Red. #3, no idea. #5 is a Frizzle. #6 is a Silkie.

4. gingerchick1

Feb 29, 2016
    Thank you. They all have different coloring so I wasn't sure. I can't have any roosters!

5. gingerchick1

Feb 29, 2016
    Anybody else have a guess?
    Thanks!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    None of them are looking overly suspicious for being a rooster...at this point. Silkies are one of the hardest breed to sex so you'll have to wait several more weeks to be sure (on all of them for that matter).

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena . - the silkie is looking like a boy to me tho it is very early and things can change overnight. The frizzle is adorable too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by