Gender???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heather94, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    Can anyone tell me if this is a hen or rooster? Easter egger? I thought it was a hen (and was told so but the woman I bought him/her from) but I've had chicks lately that I know they came from my polish hen, but are showing characteristics of my EE (fluff under eyes, thick fluffy neck, etc) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's an Easter Egger pullet. Doesn't look like she's quite ready to lay yet. And the Polish pictured is also muffed and bearded. It's a dominant gene, so makes sense for the Polish cross chicks to have those features.

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

EE pullet, definitely. [​IMG]

~Alex

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 junebuggena

5. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga

I didn't even realize hippie (my polish, my 3yo named her) was bearded. That makes sense. I just wasn't sure where the fluff under my polish crosses eyes were coming from! Glad she is a hen!! When do EEs start laying? she's about 8mo? Thanks!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Eggers can be all over the place when it comes to rate of development. 8 months or later isn't unheard of. It's my experience that they do need higher protein levels for maturing so giving layer feed before they are laying can really slow down their development.

7. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    Ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by