Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Hatched from Metzer welsh harlequin eggs first week in June. Have not heard a single quack, and their chatter sounds breathy but not hoarse or raspy. Visually I’d guess female, but their vocalizations are throwing me off. 🤔 Any educated guesses welcome, haha.
1203F4E7-2252-4C55-8C17-24815F570558.jpeg

Duck mommy 2019

Songster
Apr 1, 2019
both drakes! i’m not sure if you wanted girls, but don’t get girls unless you plan to get 10+. drakes will be best friends when they have no girls, but as soon as you bring in girls they’ll fight.

Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
both drakes! i’m not sure if you wanted girls, but don’t get girls unless you plan to get 10+. drakes will be best friends when they have no girls, but as soon as you bring in girls they’ll fight.
Is this based solely on the chatter description? Or do you see further clues? Just curious. Another that hatched with these two has black tail, more solidly rust chest, and green head. With a prominent curled tail feather. They’ve been with my older Ancona ducks for the last month and do not sound anything like either gender of them.

Duck mommy 2019

Songster
Apr 1, 2019
Is this based solely on the chatter description? Or do you see further clues? Just curious. Another that hatched with these two has black tail, more solidly rust chest, and green head. With a prominent curled tail feather. They’ve been with my older Ancona ducks for the last month and do not sound anything like either gender of them.
green beaks, you can tell they are getting green on their face, one looks like it’s starting to get a drake curl, and their faces just look like drakes (after a certain age, i feel like drakes and hens look different by their face)

Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
green beaks, you can tell they are getting green on their face, one looks like it’s starting to get a drake curl, and their faces just look like drakes (after a certain age, i feel like drakes and hens look different by their face)
Thanks for the info, good to know.

rp riley

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Central Oklahoma
I am thinking males but do you have any pictures from the first two three days when they hatched? You can tell male and female by the bill color for the first two or three days. Males will have an all dark bill and females will have a light colored bill with a black spot on the end.

Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I am thinking males but do you have any pictures from the first two three days when they hatched? You can tell male and female by the bill color for the first two or three days. Males will have an all dark bill and females will have a light colored bill with a black spot on the end.
No pics but 4 hatched, 2 had dark bills, and 2 had lighter bills with a dark stripe down the center. I lost track of which were which, but one looks like a google image of the drake, and the other one looks similar to the 2 in the picture but with a bit more red on the chest. So, those numbers don’t add up so well, 😂. These were hatched from hatchery eggs, not breeder/show lines if that helps.

Blue Ninja

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the replies, it really helps me to know more details to look for.

Top Bottom