Gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bobcatridge, Oct 13, 2010.

1. bobcatridge

bobcatridge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Central California Coast
    I have six 11 week old chicks - 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 sex linked goldens, and 2 Americanas (Easter Eggers?). All of these chicks are suppose to be pullets but those Americanas are different looking and I am new to this whole chicken thing. At any rate, I tried to photographed them but no one would stay still. When my 9yr old came home from school I got her to hold them but it was still chaos. So anyway, do the Americanas and Rhode Island Reds look female or male. The sex linked goldens should be females so I don't wonder about them. No one has crowed and of course they are too young to lay. Here are some less than ideal photos:

The two Americanas look very similar except the slightly lighter one has bigger tufts - I can't tell them apart in the photos. I will try again tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

I suspect this is the darker Americana with smaller tufts.
    [​IMG]

The Rhode Island Reds look alike too.
    [​IMG]

and the second Rhode Island Red (I think):
    [​IMG]

So what do you think, do have pullets or is there a lurking roo?

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I would say the first three are girls, the last one I am on the fence about. Also I don't think your Americanas are in fact Americanas they are Easter Eggers. Did you get them from a feed store or hatchery? Most hatcheries sell their "Easter Eggers" as Americanas. They are still great birds and most lay colored eggs.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    all pullets

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    dont know too much about EE's as I dont have any but your RIR's are positively girls

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Top one MIGHT be a roo, rest are pullets. On the top, it's hard to see if the feathers are pointy yet

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Your top one looks just like my Easter Egger, FatOne. Girl.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup.

8. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    All Girls... [​IMG]

9. bobcatridge

bobcatridge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Central California Coast
    Thanks for the input. I was hoping we had all pullets and it seems I have a good chance for that. The Americanas were sold as such at the nearest local feed store. After reading on BYC I figured they are Easter Eggers. I am fine with that as long as they give me some interesting colored eggs. Well, actually I would just be happy with eggs in general. I have enjoyed the chickens so far.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Your EEs are girls. You can tell by the color pattern. EE roosters are never that color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by