Gender?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cheyfrie26, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The oldest one without the yellow fuz, its parents are these guys.
    The two birds farthest to the right. The mom is the yellow one the dad is the red one.
    [​IMG]

The parents to the squeaker with the fuz looks like the red cock in the picture and the mom is a normal blue bar hen.
    Can you tell the sex of the squeakers?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

no too young.

3. Floyd Chandler

Floyd Chandler New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi,

I cant tell yet but here are some ways to know the gender of your squeakers:

Observe the size of the doves. Typically, a male dove is larger than a female.

Male doves often have more square heads than females

Watch for one dove to stick its beak inside the other dove's mouth. If this occurs, it is probably the female sticking her beak inside the male's mouth

Look for a dove to crouch. Females will crouch down, tuck their heads in and raise their shoulders to prepare for mating. A male will then crane his neck above the female and mount her

Observe your dove for the "bow-coo" behavior. Typically, when males and females are together, only the male will perform this behavior. However, when females are placed together without males, they may also act in this way. The dove will coo very quickly while bowing toward the other dove

Watch for behavior called "displaying." A male will "display" to the female by inflating his neck and chest and fanning his tail to show his markings. He is attempting to attract her.

I hope this helps [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Find plans and blueprints on http://www.blueprintfinder.com

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    any black flecks on the feather = cock bird..... harder to tell in the red/ yellow pairing...

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Actually the males usually have rounder heads than the hens. But these are too young to assume anything unless they have blue/black flecking.

6. hookedonpigeons

hookedonpigeons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Rural Hall, NC
    Still a little young to tell.

7. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i would say its a female but compare the head size to the mother and if the head is smaller or same size it is a female and compare it to the father and if same size or larger it is a male.[​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    To young to tell by head size, or their actions......about 6 months you will be able to tell. Yellow is a sex link color...but not with a dom red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by