Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by outlawchick, Jan 22, 2014.

1. outlawchick

outlawchick New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    Being somewhat new to chicken raising, I'm not sure, but I think this one may be a rooster. Could someone give me thier thoughts?
    This is one of 4 "mixed pullets" I purchased Nov 2 from craigslist. They were all said to be 3-4 weeks old (though the barred one and the red one were significantly smaller than the two EE looking ones). Assuming they were in fact 3-4 weeks then, they are appoximately 15 weeks old now. The 1st photo shows the barred chicken in question (CIQ) flanked by another "mixed pullet" and a 1 year old leghorn.The second shows the CIQ in front with 2 "mixed pullet" in the background, and the third is another of the CIQ and a "mixed pullet". Hen or Rooster? I have more photos if these are not conclusive. Thank you!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The barred one looks like a cockerel to me.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your CIQ appears to be a cockerel, based off of the stance, thick legs, coloration, comb size, and curving tail feathers. Your other birds are pullets.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think your CIQ is a cockerel. The others are pullets.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    barred one is a rooster, I see his heckle feathers

6. outlawchick

outlawchick New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks for all the speedy responses. Now I must find him a home or a roasting pan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by