gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ebertschic, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

These 2 were born November 11. Any ideas? See my post below. The pic with 4 chickens...what do you think all 4 are...especially the first 2?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I can't get the second picture to load, but the first one seems to be a male. This is because of the rusty feathers of its back.

3. ebertschic

Apr 29, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    X2 on the first looking rooish

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree the first bird is a roo...red bars on wing bows.

As to the picture of the 4...it is so washed out I can't see the combs well at all...they look like EE's?

If so...I would guess likely pullets if they were hatched November 11th too...first and last (left to right) look like female patterns and the next one over (2nd from left) as well...the black one might be a roo as the comb is more developed.

However, those are really rough guesses as your photos are not clear enough, and we would need to see profile shots to pick up any developing saddle feathers and see the even-ness of the color pattern.

Try to get photos that don't wash out the comb colors as how red the comb is will also help us determine the sex.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: I think the last photo is a roo...stance, more comb, just look roo-ish to me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Your first photo looks like a roo

but in your next two photos you have some hens there

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

8. ebertschic

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks for all the help. I took better pics this morning. I only have the 4 chicks. The pictures I posted in my previous posts are of the same chicks that are in the pic of the 4 chicks together (hope i'm making sense). DH said he saw the cream/brown one below and the multi colored one fighting and their dad came in and split it up. DH said he thinks of my 4 chicks, at least those 2 are roos. I'm hoping not. Can you tell from the pics below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Multicolor gray - male
    Chestnut - female
    Cream/red - male
    Black - not 100% sure but guessing male due to the redness of comb

10. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I'd agree with the post above, but the black one I'm not sure about. If you compare its comb to the gray one, the black's comb is lighter. But I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by