Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RosemaryChicks, Aug 5, 2014.

1. RosemaryChicks

RosemaryChicks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    We are new to owning chickens, and started out with 5 little chicks. They are just about 8 weeks old. I know it may be too soon to tell their gender but I just wanted opinions from people who have been around chickens for a long time.

Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Looks like all pullets so far

3. Agreed

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The only one I would watch is the blue laced red Wyandotte.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Me too. It's early days yet, but it looks like a decent amount of comb for the young age, and the feathers on the wings look a darker reddish color. Everyone else I feel confident calling pullet. Maybe post again on the Wyandotte in 3-4 weeks?

You have a very cute flock...and [​IMG]

6. RosemaryChicks

RosemaryChicks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    That's good to hear. There are 2 that we were suspicious about (the wyandotte and rhode island red). Of course the wyandotte is the one I had to have in my flock so if it is a boy I have a friend who will take him and I'll just have to get myself a girl.

I will post more photos once they get a little bit older. We just finished and moved them into their coop earlier this week. They were looking so big in their brooder and now they look so small.

We love our chickens! This board has helped us newbies out a lot as well.

7. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I concur, but I will take it a step further. I believe the BLRW is a cockerel. I believe all the rest are pullets. With BLRWs it is hard to tell at this age, but I had several that looked identical to yours and they all turned out to be cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by