Genders? 3 Lav Orp, 1 BC Marans, and 1 splash Marans—any hope for a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MaryZoe, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    My broody started with 8 chicks. We’re down to 5. I get the feeling we lost the pullets. Any gender guesses based on combs? The BC Marans is largest and the leader, but her comb looks most like a pullet to me. They’re all between 8-9 weeks old. Many thanks!!

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    So far, only the bird or birds in the 4th and 5th pictures (I can't tell if it's the same bird or different birds) look like possible cockerel(s) due to the redness of comb, but not positive on that as the combs look small. Orpingtons can be slow to develop so you may need to try again in a few weeks. When you do, pictures of each bird's side including bodies and combs would make it easier to tell.

3. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    The 4th pick looks like it could be a cockeral, IMO. Whole body pics would be helpful, cockerals tend to grow their tails much faster than hens. Pointed feathers in the saddle area means its a cockeral

MaryZoe and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Your BCM is a pullet... pretty sure...BCM usually telecast pretty early.

Nobody else looks to be a cockerel with the exception of photo 4....comb is pinking. Watch that one. I'm still leaning pullet at 8 to 9 weeks of age. Those combs usually look much bigger and redder in the males.

[​IMG]

5. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Well this is good news. The bird in pics #4 and 5 is the same bird. Smallish stature compared to the rest, but it has that pinkish reddish comb. Agreed that the comb is still small. I'll try to get some whole body pics to see what people think based on tail feathers. Thanks!!

6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Those all look like pullets! But in pic three, there is a head stuck in there on the right, I see a big red comb. I don't know if that is a bird you are asking about, but if the same age, would probably be a cockerel. Need a better pic though.

7. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Actually, @Crazy for Chickens!, that was an impostor! She snuck in to steal the treats I used to lure in the little guys. I'm liking the news that these seem to be pullets, at least most of them. Makes me wonder why it was the cockerels who succumbed to whatever it was that killed them.

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullets for now

9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Well, you are sure lucky! It probably wont happen again!

MaryZoe likes this.
  10. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    So here are some body shots of the littles. Still pullets? The BC and Splash Marans are individual shots, and the 3 Lavender Orps are together. Hard to separate them.

Attached Files:

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: