Genders? Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 25, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have a barred rock chick and an ameraucana chick. I bought them both as pullet chicks but the hatchery said there is always a 10% chance of a rooster. Opinions on genders? Also, I would like to know what my ameraucana will turn out like color wise. I saw many different colored amerucana hens at the hatchery like silver and gold laced, white, and buff so I have no idea what her color is.
    Ameraucana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    They look like pullets to me

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The barred rock is a girl, but I am unsure about the other.

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thats good. I can't have a rooster so i'm praying they will turn out hens [​IMG]

I want eggs really bad, too!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The one you are calling an Ameraucana is an Easter Egger. Hatcheries falsely sell them as Ameraucanas (or any of the misspellings of the name) but you can only get true Ameraucanas from a breeder. So, since EEs are one of the most diverse breeds of chickens, it's hard to give all the colors a name.

But, both appear to be pullets. [​IMG]

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well on the website it says ameraucana/easter egger so maybe it's the same thing to him [​IMG]

Anyway thanks for the answer! I feel better now. I thought with my luck one would be a rooster with that 10% chance.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The BR is a pullet. The 2 EE's at this point also look like pullets by their coloring.

8. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Check out this site: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html There's no such thing as a silver or gold laced Ameraucana. Unfortunately, they all get away with false advertising... Thought I was getting an Ameraucana and ended up with an EE, as well. [​IMG]

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    pullets

10. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad they're pullets. I'm surprised about the whole EE thing because the hens looked like ameraucanas at his hatchery. Oh well. I don't care about the breed i'm in it for playing with the chickens and eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by