Genders of Red Sex Links (RIR-Brahma)

DJASBC

Songster
Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
We just hatched 4 eggs. All the same dad (Rhode Island Red) and 1 egg was from a dark Brahma and 3 eggs were from a buff Brahma. Reading up on Sex Links, I learned that RIR Rooster cross with a LIGHT Brahma hen would make for easy sexing in that boys will be yellow and girls will be red. But is that the same rule for dark & buff brahmas? I know there’s science behind it and all that good stuff, but I’m not getting the part about if the males will still be yellow for the buff & dark Brahma offspring? Also, I have included their pictures. All 4 are there but there are 5 pictures because “Simba” has a cool mark on the back of his/her head so she has 2 pics. And finally, what color do my chicks technically count as? Are they more red, yellow, white? They’re just so cute and fluffy- is that a color? Any help greatly appreciated. Here are the pics:
(1. Lady Reddington 2.&3. Simba 4. Eve 5. Groot)
E84CACAF-0662-4ED7-BBCA-874F1291B32C.jpeg
3F02AA9C-C108-494D-998D-B5F444EEB6C0.jpeg
1AE101FD-ECA6-4DF3-A168-310C84722583.jpeg
510BA06F-841F-4826-906B-8EE2267C8D2B.jpeg
9F327F2C-AD40-4F5A-9266-9792A14C5C98.jpeg

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
The cross of RIR male over light Brahma hen works for sex links because the male is red based and the female is silver based. It won't work with buff Brahma hens because they are red based, not silver based. So your RIR x Buff Brahma chicks will have to be sexed the usual way, and that won't be happening until they are older. 8 weeks is about the right time, unless you see obvious signs earlier.

If you know which chick is the RIR x Light Brahma, then we might be able to sex it now.

DJASBC

Songster
Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
The cross of RIR male over light Brahma hen works for sex links because the male is red based and the female is silver based. It won't work with buff Brahma hens because they are red based, not silver based. So your RIR x Buff Brahma chicks will have to be sexed the usual way, and that won't be happening until they are older. 8 weeks is about the right time, unless you see obvious signs earlier.

If you know which chick is the RIR x Light Brahma, then we might be able to sex it now.

Thank you for educating me there ❤️. Do you mean dark Brahma? The Dark Brahmas baby is the first one. “Reddington” minus the “lady” title until further notice.

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
Thank you for educating me there ❤. Do you mean dark Brahma? The Dark Brahmas baby is the first one. “Reddington” minus the “lady” title until further notice.
Yes, sorry, I knew I got something wrong. The cross of a Red roo over a dark Brahma female should work for sex links, too, but it would be more difficult to sex the chicks because dark Brahma chicks are much more colorful than light Brahma chicks.

But since your chick of this cross is reddish all over, I believe it is female. If it had more silvery fluff outside the stripe, I would guess male, but that's not the case here.

If you raised many chicks from that cross, I believe the differences between male and female in the chicks would be easy to recognize, by comparison.

The main thing is using a male that is red based over a female that is silver based. That's how most sex links are made. Others, like some strains of Legbars or Barred rocks, are differentiated by the spots of the back of the chicks' heads, but that doesn't apply with this cross.

DJASBC

Songster
Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Yes, sorry, I knew I got something wrong. The cross of a Red roo over a dark Brahma female should work for sex links, too, but it would be more difficult to sex the chicks because dark Brahma chicks are much more colorful than light Brahma chicks.

But since your chick of this cross is reddish all over, I believe it is female. If it had more silvery fluff outside the stripe, I would guess male, but that's not the case here.

If you raised many chicks from that cross, I believe the differences between male and female in the chicks would be easy to recognize, by comparison.

The main thing is using a male that is red based over a female that is silver based. That's how most sex links are made. Others, like some strains of Legbars or Barred rocks, are differentiated by the spots of the back of the chicks' heads, but that doesn't apply with this cross.
Well you’ve definitely explained this in a more helpful way and for that I thank you! This is my first time raising chicks from incubation at any cross. I just really wanted their dad to live on, since he was the best rooster ever.

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
Well you’ve definitely explained this in a more helpful way and for that I thank you! This is my first time raising chicks from incubation at any cross. I just really wanted their dad to live on, since he was the best rooster ever.
It's always sad when you lose a really good bird. But it seems likely that at least one of his chicks with the buff Brahma hen will turn out to be male. So he may live on yet, through his offspring.

Top Bottom