Genders on my Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GJ_Kate, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Here are my 4 BCMs:

Number 1:

[​IMG]

Number 2:

[​IMG]

Number 3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were hatched on April 4th, if that helps. Thanks thanks thanks!!!!

2. acrossthebranch

acrossthebranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    South Ga
    I'm curious to see what everyone else says because they all look like cockerels to me. At 8 weeks, those seem like large combs and wattles, but I've never owned this breed, so what do I know?!

3. abundantwife

abundantwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Lakes Region
    Here's a photo of my 8 week old Marans. The pullet is just starting to show copper, the cockerel looks just like all of yours. [​IMG] They are really sweet birds. If you need to re-home some of them, you probably won't have any trouble at all.

4. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Crap! in better news, my hubby just said "order some from where ever you need to!" He's such an enabler!!! Then he complains when he has to haul water to them in the winter... hehehe
    We'll likely keep all 4 for now. They are sweet!

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Roosters... sorry... Where did you get em??

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    number two is a possible hen.. I tell you what.. don't get rid of anything until it has colored saddle feathers.. I have been tricked by hennyroos before.. I hope you have that problem!!!

7. acrossthebranch

acrossthebranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    South Ga
    Quote:[​IMG]

that's what mine said, but then he complains about them! we have 33 babies right now because of his sweet encouragement that i order more!

8. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    I got the BCM eggs from AussieHeeler who lives about an hour south of me. I was going to do my first ever hatch for my 1st grade classroom and I didn't have a rooster at the time. So she gave me some assorted eggs, meanwhile I got a free EE rooster, so I had a hatch of 20 chicks and 4 turkeys in my classroom on April 4-ish. Been hatching all sorts of stuff ever since then! The bator hasn't been turned off!!!

Well, I guess I'll have to post on the CO thread about needing some BCMs... I can't do shipped eggs due to my high elevation... out of 40ish shipped eggs, I only had 2 hatch... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by