Genealogy

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Lu King, May 11, 2009.

1. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    I am into genealogy, and have found a lot of very interesting stories about my ancestors. I also like to walk the cemeteries and take pictures of the headstones to help others who are looking for their ancestors.

I admit my genealogy work has taken a back seat to my chickens and turkeys. They come first.

2. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Are you a member of an ancestry web site? I was looking at one the other day and concidering joining... but wondered if it was worth it.

3. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    I'm also into genealogy in a BIG way, although now, with chickens, ducks and geese, plus very untamed flower beds, it turns into more of a wintertime passion.

I'm a subscriber to Ancestry.com. The 1-yr subscription to EVERYTHING they have is about $300, but I've found lots of great stuff there.

Gwen

4. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    Quote:I'm a member of Find A Grave. I don't like to pay for anything, if I don't have to. Find A Grave is free, and they have a forum where you might be able to find information about your ancestors. There are a couple of other websites that I have gone to. I can't remember them off the top of my head, as I haven't been to those sites for awhile.

5. Lover-of-Poultry

Lover-of-Poultry Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Tennessee
    Wow that sounds great. I am also one of those people that have tight wallets- so free is great. I have been looking for more of my family history.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    another good site is rootsweb and its free, also the familysearch.org site has alot of info... maybe we should list some of the surnames we are researching? for me its rusk, mckay, sullivan, larison, mendell to mention a few

7. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    I love it! Researching my family history has been a fun experience, and in some cases headache causing! But you do find out some interesting stuff about some of your ancestors!

8. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hubby & I are having a ball on Ancestry.com. I found out that I am related to Ann Boleyn (wife of King Henry VIII) and Lady Godiva (who married King Leofric). So far I have researched my family back to the 600's! Not the 1600's, the 600's! How cool is that? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by