Genectics of Golden cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by steelshot, Sep 1, 2009.

1. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hello,
    I was was wondering if anyone who new something about genetics could tell me the genetic make up of a golden cuckoo maran? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    something like lemon cockoo?...if so then is just the sex link barring gene plus BUFF, you just need to cross a cuckoo Maran with Buff orp or buff cochin....repeat untill you get what you want..good luck

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Golden Cuckoo is essentially the same as copper black with barring.

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    A Golden Cuckoo Marans is a either a Golden Salmon,Wheaten or Black Copper with the barring gene. They are an autosexing variety, and there is no need to go outside the Marans breed.
    You can follow the plan ,just substitute Silver Cuckoo for Barred Rock, and Golden Salmon,Wheaten or Black Copper for Brown Leghorn.
    [​IMG]
    The overly laced Black Copper hens and Golden necked Black Copper cocksare ideal for this project.
    David

1 person likes this.
  5. steelshot

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for the replies, so I was correct in my thinking that it was basically a birchen with barring. Thanks for all your help. [​IMG]

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Can be a Birchen,Duckwing or Wheaten with barring, also a Brown with barring .The latter is not found in Marans
    David

7. Krys109uk

8. steelshot

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Do you think the golden cuckoo carries the same MH gene for mohgany as the black coopers?

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Depends on the breeder. Some lines are and some aren't. Best to ask on the lines behind the birds.

Some lines are obvious and well documented. some aren't.

I'm pretty sure the Wade Jean GCM lines are coming from black coppers - you can always ask on the Maran's Club list.

I'm getting GCM eggs next month - crele (golden cuckoo) is my favorite color.

10. Krys109uk

Do you think the golden cuckoo carries the same MH gene for mohgany as the black coopers?

I'm not sure. I've been re-creating some from copper blacks & cuckoos &, as the French website it says it is to be an orange gold, I've just been going by selection.

I also note the French site says they're gold versions of the silver & the silver cuckoo page say they are either E or ER.

http://marans-club.club.fr/ca.htm#ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by