General Black

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FireTigeris, Jan 11, 2011.

1. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is General Black, he is oh, 9-11 months old and beautiful, what is he with that odd comb

Ok, really what is he a mix of?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would definitely say Langshan and Polish. The Polish is what makes that neat butterfly/leaf comb there. Crossing a V combed bird with a single combed bird does that.

The Langshan gives him the long legs, the feathering on the legs, and the upright, large tail and sort of short body. The Polish also helps the tail's size and posture as well as his white earlobes. Some hatchery Polish, when crossed out to another breed, do not pass on the crest. Or, who knows, maybe he does have a crest hidden in there. Kind of hard to say.

That or he's a La Fleche x Langshan, but the possibilities there are really slim.

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    i would say more of a larg pea comb it has three riges one midal that is larger and two smaller one or both side my gusse would be a pea comb bird (brama) over a larg singale comb bird (leghorn) the pea comb would be domanent but the leghorn would make it larger so i think it is brama / leghorn

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Could you show me where this middle row is? . . . I see a vast "bowl" lined with only two rows of obvious points, not bumps as a pea comb would have.

Pea comb x Single comb makes pea combed birds, they usually aren't very odd looking at all.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Wouldn't he have a little "puff" behind that gigantic comb if he was a polish cross?

6. FireTigeris

the middle row is towards the camera

7. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    lok in the first pic you can see the firts row pointing left then the midal row pointing up then the third row pointing right [​IMG]

8. FireTigeris

next time he lets me near him I'll try a better shot.

He does not seem to have fluffy/crest feathers anywhere.

I haven't counted toes. He was hatched from Namble's eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by