General Bumblefoot question

lukkyseven

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Maryland
Do you guys find that you end up with bumblefooted chickens after dumping new mulch/straw into their run? I had a ton of left over shredded mulch after doing all my garden beds this year. So like last year, I took that left over and moved it to the run. I also had about 2 1/2 hay bales that were not being used so I shredded them a little and tossed them in.

Well give it two weeks and 4 of my 12 chickens have bumblefoot.

This happened last year around the same time... I didn't put two and two together at that time, but I would most certainly have done the same procedure.

I doubt it's coincidence, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Tamdog

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Depends - it is Spring- do you tend to put out straw when it is wet? I have read really wet conditions make the chance of getting bumblefoot worse.

Last edited:

lukkyseven

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Maryland
Last year I blamed it on wet conditions actually. Turns out where I built there run was about the dampest place on my property. This time around it is on a very well drained area. So of course things get wet when it rains, but it does dry pretty quickly in my opinion.

Top Bottom