general chicken question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ROCKIN R FARM, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ROCKIN R FARM

ROCKIN R FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Rhome, Texas
    i am posting this for a friend, was not all sure what to tell her sense when mine did this only lasted a week or so and now they are pooping fine....

Hi Ladies! I have a chicken question. We have two Hens who are about 1.5 years old. They have been in good health and laying 5-7 eggs each per week for the last 4 months (that is how long we have had them) Our Rhode Island Red hasn't laid for about 4 days. I thought maybe it was due to cold weather, but then when I was out side talking to them yesterday she pooped and it was pretty much all liquid :-( It's been rainy and cooler (about 56') so to start off I changed all the bedding, washed the food and water dishes in hot water and changed the feed and put ACV in the water. I put the heat lamp out in the coop again though they don't seem to be huddled under it or anything. Thoughts? They both otherwise seem in good heatlh expect the watery poop one also has a little poop in her butt feathers now. No foamy eyes or discharge from eyes or nose. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

deana
    rockin r farm

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

If your RIR is otherwise acting normally, I would consider this pooping something to just watch. Chickens do sometimes have a big watery poo (there is a whole poop thread here somewhere, and I think there are photos too). If she starts walking funny (like a penguin), then the lack of eggs could be a sign of her being eggbound. If the poo gets bloody, or your RIR starts acting depressed, lethargic, or starts huddling, then the lack of eggs may be related to illness. The poopy butt is often cured by just adding the ACV to water, which you already did (my Delaware's a big old poopbottom but the ACV clears it right up). Other possible reasons why your girl may not have laid an egg in four days could be 1) she is going into her molt, 2) she is going to go broody (not very likely I think but her behavior will help to eliminate this as a cause), 3) she's egg-bound, or 4) she missed an ovulation or two (like skipping a period, not always the sign of disaster - sometimes just a glitch). Hope this helps!

3. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I fed mine cantaloupe one day and I had soooo many watery poos! Sometimes it is what you feed them but if it is happening on a dry diet then it is most likely a problem.

4. ROCKIN R FARM

Dec 4, 2008
    Rhome, Texas
    Thanks for that reply I will pass this along to her and let her go from there.
    deana

5. ROCKIN R FARM

Dec 4, 2008
    Rhome, Texas
    Quote:Yes I did ask her what she was feeding them, just waiting on a reply back from her. That is the first thing I thought off.
    deana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by