General duck advice for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smileygreen64, Mar 16, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I need a crash course in ducks 101. I have chickens and have learned so much from this site. I am calling for some duck people wisdom now. I have a few questions, but if you think I left something out that I should know please feel free to school me.

1. Do duck breeds get along? I was thinking about calls and standard breeds. Will the smaller breeds be ok with the larger ones?

2. Do ducks need nesting boxes? I have read yes and no. What is your opinion?

3. I know duck eggs take longer but can they be incubated with chicken eggs? I have a seperate hatcher, so eggs are moved for lockdown.

4. Are drakes aggressive towards eachother like roosters?

5. Do they need to fly? I was planning on netting the top of the pen. It will be about 7 foot high.

6. What about food? I read you can just add wheat to their feed. I feed Tucker Milling Super Lay 22 to my chickens. It is a 22% protien layer pellet.

7. Do they need a roost or do they sleep on the ground?

8. How large a pool do they need?

Sorry for all the questions. I have been reading and have read contradicting things. I thought it might be best to try amd gain some knowledge from experienced duck people. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Responses in purple

Quote:

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Some ducks get along,some dont. You will want your drakes to be small and females big so there is no drowning.

You can add one but they do not need it.

Drakes can be very aggressive to ecahother,infact sometimes their worse.

They don't need to,and most cant.

they sleep on the ground,some ducks like muscovies roost,but don't need one.

Depending on how many you have,depend s on your pool size.

5. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will start with some kiddy pools for them to splash in.

@TLWR, I actually just read your thread about your pool on here yesterday. I will probably use your design to make myself something similar eventually. Is there anything you would have done differently to yours if you could start over or are you happy with it?

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Yes!
    The filter is based on a skippy filter, which you read everywhere never needs cleaning. Well, these are ducks, you have to clean the filter at some point.
    My filter box has no drain, so it is me and a bucket since the pump just can't deal with all the sludge on the bottom unless we use tons of water to keep it pumpable. I just ignore the ick factor and scoop with a bucket.
    So, if I had to do it over, I'd put a drain in that filter box so I could just turn the valve to open and drain it, rinse out the ick, close the valve and fill it back up with pond water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by