1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

General egglaying question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Waddell85, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Waddell85

Waddell85 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    I have 10 hens and they started laying about a month ago. So far they are big, small, rough, smooth abnormally shaped and lots of double yolkers. So far I've been really lucky and they go back in their coop to lay! They free range from dusk till dawn. The last three days we have been getting between 7 to 9 eggs a day! This just seems like a lot to me for only 10 hens??? Also this morning I let them out and collected 5 eggs then while I was doing yard work one of my hens went back into the coop. A little later I went in and there were 2 eggs in the nest she had been in. Is that even possible or did a hen sneak in there that I missed?

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Each hen should lay 1 egg per day once they reach laying age, if you have 10 hens you should be getting 10 eggs per day, sometimes they miss a day in their laying cycles, no hens I have ever owned have laid more than 1 egg per day or any other bird for that matter, although I have heard reports of other peoples hens doing this, chances are another hen snuck in to lay.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    As said above most hens will lay almost one egg per day. So, once they are laying regular you should be getting about 9 eggs per day and sometimes 10. Since your birds free range you will need to check around to be sure that a hen or two has not found a nest outside the coop and is depositing her eggs there. It has happened many times before and people are wondering why they are getting so few eggs when they discover a hidden nest with ten old eggs in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by