General Genetics/Genetics on Polish

Obsessive

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Ok been a while since ive posted here
roll.png

The 8th was my 17th b-day and my mom said I could get 25 chicks.
Im going to get some Faverolles, Orloffs, Buttercups and Polish

Y'know those guys (and gals
smile.png
) that developed all the breeds we know from older breeds?
Well I could seriously get into it like that. (I'm pretty crazy about this stuff)
tongue.png

Can someone tell me what I'd get by crossing a silver-laced polish with a gold laced polish?
I know they'de still be polish *right?* but would you get sex-linked or a new color or what?

And also could everyone just pile on all they know about genetics and breeding?
I want to learn all the ins and outs of breeding....
Were all obssesed here so rant and rave on!
big_smile.png

I know that when you breed 2 blues you get black white and blue in some ratio, but I dont know much beyond that and some other recessive/dominant stuff.
So lay it on and lets see what us chicken lovers can learn shall we?

Last edited:
Quote:
If you breed 2 blues, you get 50% blue, 25% splash and 25% black
So in 4 chickens you would get 2 blues 1 splash and 1 black
but this doesnt always work out so dont rely on it
If you want blacks from breeding blues, breed blue to black and you will get 50% blue 50% black
If you breed splash to splash you get 100% splash
If you breed blue to splash you will just wash out the blue.

ok thanks for the correction:)

also can we put more than just coloration genetics?
I want to work on improving breeds, not just getting pretty chickens.
...Stuff like how to breed egg production and what to look for in order to breed vigor and how to breed the qualities of quick molting into a line.

I know this is mostly a hobby site but I live on 30+ acre and we have about 100 chickens and soon getting more, and i want to get to where, instead of buying chicks every year, I can hatch them myself, as well as improve them.
So dont tell the chickens but I will ..............CULL...........*gasp*

I do have a certain group of "house chicks" though that we will keep in a separate, smaller pen:D

Also, I just saw a pic of a red laced blue Wyandotte. How do you get that?

Crossing a silver-laced polish with a gold laced polish will give you silver-laced polish pullets, and split cull cockerels.
Have a look at chickencolours.com & click on the book. Save your $100 and buy one
David

if you look in this pic - all the silver laced birds in it are from silver lace bred over gold lace hens. The cockerals I suspect will get more red and gold shades in them as they age because they contain one gene for silver and one for gold. I plan on mating the best ones back to gold lace hens next year.

DSCN5183.jpg

Quote:
The silver laced roosters I have were superior in type and markings, so I bred them to the gold lace. By then breeding the males of this mating back to the gold lace line I will produce (hopefully) gold lace males with improved markings and type. Hopefully as an added bonus the vigor of new bloodlines being introduced will increase fertillity and egg production as well.

Humm interesting. I would have never thought of breeding two different colors together to get better type and lacing. It seems kind of the long way around. Woudn't it be easier to find a better type gold laced bird from a different line and breed that into your? (not arguing here, just curious)
Anyway, I guess that is getting off the original subject. I hope someone does come on and answer the OP's questions, I really want to hear it myself.
Oh here is a genetics site to get started with:
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

Last edited:
no prob.
cool.png
although it would be easier to just use a better gold lace, the problem is that there are very few people breeding gold laceds seriously and the variety needs a lot of work. by using varieties that have been worked with more you can improve them. using buff laced would work also, but you run the risk of making the ground color too light and causing the feather shafts to become lighter than the ground color of the golds.

basically it breaks down like this:

silver lace roo over gold lace hen = half gold half silver roos and pure silver pullets

half gold half silver roo over gold lace hen = gold lace roos, pure gold lace pullets, half silver half gold roos, pure silver lace pullets

from that generation you're already back to having pure gold laceds, hopefully without diluting the new genes down too much.

or, going with buff lace, you could go this route:

gold lace x buff lace = all buff laced with black leaking into the lacing (impure for dominant white)

breed one of those back to a gold lace, you'll get gold laceds and more impure buff laceds.

breed to the buff lace instead and you get pure buff lace and impure buff lace.

breed two of the impures together you get impure buff lace, pure buff lace,and pure gold lace.

So I have a blue roo (mostly white crested)

10376_img_1153.jpg

If I put him over this bearded buff lace... what will I get?

10376_dsc_0007.jpg

AND If I put him over this silver spangled... what will I get?

10376_dsc_0010.jpg

BOTH of them laid eggs today.. .nice medium white/cream eggs... it was the first for the BBL because it had a little blood on it.

Back
Top Bottom