General Health Maintenance

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Thunderhill, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    We are new to Chickens. We currently raise show and milking Nigerian goats and we are really strict about our maintenance routines with worming, hoof trimming, vaccinating, proper nutrition...etc.

I need to know how to be just as strict about our Chickens health. We want to raise the happiest, healthiest Chickens possible.
    What are your maintance schedules like? Vitamins? Minerals? Caccine's? Nutriion musts"?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Feeders full of layer, calcium and grit on the side. Cull the sick/weak rather than letting them be the weak link in the flock if you suspect it is genetic. Get fecal floats done to check for worms and such if you suspect a problem rather than treat unnecessarily and keep a closed flock. Keep the coop dry and ventilated, but not too drafty, keep an eye on mites/lice on birds which can be brought in from wild birds... they are way easier than what goats sound to be! But I've never had goats and my birds are more livestock than pets with a few exceptions.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    And there you have it. Everything you need to know in a nutshell. Excellent advice SilkieChicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by