General kidding questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jan 8, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am trying to get together a kit of everything I might need when my doe kids. I have the list from Fias Co Farm, and I will be putting everything in a tote together today. I am going to check out my local feed stores to see if I can get milk replacer and colostrum, but I am highly doubtful they will have it specifically for goats. Can I use the stuff that is for cows? I don't know if I have enough time before this kidding to order the goat replacer over the internet (though I definitely will before my other girl kids).

Do I have to put out a heat lamp when my goat has her kids or is that just something you do when they get overly chilled?

I'm getting a little nervous since I know kidding time is getting closer. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's best NOT to use any heat at all once they are dried after birth.
    If you just confine them to small pens with no drafts and lots of dry bedding, they can stand the cold.

It's also better to let the mom do most of the drying if possible. That helps her learn the kid's scent, and helps with the bonding, and hormones in the fluids stimulate contractions to help pass the afterbirth, and promote milk flow.

If youre planning on bottle feeding them, whole cow's milk is better for them and FAR cheaper than commercial milk replacers. Its also better to let tehm get their colostrum naturally, at least for the first 24-36 hours. Have you given your doe her CD&T vaccinations? If yes, she will pass those antibodies on to the kids. If not you'll want to do the kids at about 4-6 weeks. If she HAS had the vaccine, you can wait a while longer to do the kids

I have fairly large sheep, and they do great in a 4 X 4 ft pen, and find ways to stay warm:
    [​IMG]

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    darn it...I thought this was going to be about when it was appropriate to harass someone and make sure you put LOL or things like that...a set of ropes ands some KY lube is good...don't know what your list has...calf will work but goat is better...I vaguely remember hearing lamb was closer but am willing to bet I am wrong

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    If theres any other people in your area with goats ,chances are they have some frozen colostrum in their freezer, and they will gladly share it and other knowledge with you, because they know how hard it is on someone new to raising goats, they've also been there and also you could possibly make a new friend,

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wanted to get some milk replacer and colostrum just to have on hand in case something goes awry. I'm hoping I won't need it. There is no one close by who has goats (we are in the middle of a city, really urban goats). I haven't given her a vaccine since I got her, so I guess I will just give the c/d & t to the kids. Should I give it to the doe at the same time? Thanks!

Oh, and is BoSe the same as Bova Sera? I am assuming it is.

6. stitchc

stitchc New Egg

Jan 8, 2009
    hi my nanny kidded last january with no help at all bless her and little billy was fine with no extra heat just mum.

7. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    Be sure you have a feeding tube in your kit...just in case baby is too weak to nurse. Use the feeding tube ONLY if baby has no sucking reflex or ability. Tubing is easier than you think and can really save the life of a weak or cold newborn.

If your doe kids...she WILL have colostrum...even if you have to milk it out of her for stomach tubing...make sure the kids get this. again, only if they are not sucking). Colostrum is yellow and thick.

When you are sure your kids have their colostrum you can milk some out, put it in an ice tray and freeze it so that you have little ice cube colostrum portions next time. I put my ice try in a gallon ziplock to protect it from the freezer "doings"

Have towels and wipes on hand for cleaning your own hands as you handle babies. Maybe our goats are spoiled but we always make sure mouth and nose are clear and then we move baby up to Mommy's head so she can start cleaning immediatly. Our does seem to appreciate it.

If you can get some Bo-Se from your vet...it would be great to have on hand. I would use it if I had a weak kid or a kid that could not stand on its own within the first hour. We give our babies a tiny bit (1/4 cc) in a shot given SubQ.

Bear Foot Farm is right....cows milk is ALOT better for them than those commercial milk replacers. you'll want whole milk.

If you have an empty feed back around...save it.....it is much easier to clean up the birth area if you let your doe kid ON the feed back. JUst cut it at one side and bottom so it lays flat and open, and slip it under Mommy while she is pushing.

Let Mom do most of the drying...just make sure the nose and mouth are clear of mucus and let mommy do the rest.

You don't have to use a heat lamp. If you feel that the babies are too cold you can cut the sleeve off an old sweatshirt and use the sleeve part you cut off as a sweater (the cuff would be the collar part). It takes 24 hours before babies can regulate their own body temps, but mommy should keep them warm.

Be sure that the wax is off the end of her teats before the babies try to nurse...its easy...it just soft like ear wax. Most does will prep their teats themselves but I always check and make sure a stream comes out.
    Nutradrench for goats is also good especially in cold weather. Give it to them after they get their first colostrum from mommy. We give our baby Nigerians 2 cc.

Mommy will be very thirsty after kidding. We give new Mommy's warm water with a bit of molasses mixed in and they really seem to appreciate it.

Worm Mom after she kids.

Best of luck with your kidding!! We have 10 does due starting in Feb and I'll be "mid-wifing" again this year for them as well as my Folks' boer herd.

8. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    Oh, forgot to ad.If our doe wasn't vaccinated before kidding we would Give the mom her cd&t after she kids and Give the babies theirs at 3 weeks old, another at 7 weeks, and one more at 11 weeks...and then once a year after that. Everyone gets the same dosage of CD&T (2cc's)

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:BTW... [​IMG]

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Thanks, Robin, for saving me all that typing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by