General Motors... Not buying American anymore?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well that's not good. Hope it doesn't end up effecting the GM plant here... [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    1. Ford and GM are multi-national companies. They have been huge in a lot of overseas places for a long time. In some places I've been, there is a lot of status in owning a big "American" car, regardless of where it is made.

2. Years ago, the Toyota I bought had more American made parts and American assembly that either the Ford or Chevy I previously bought. I was supporting American jobs by buying Toyota instead of Ford or Chevy. I'll mention that the Toyota was much better made and lasted a lot longer than either the Ford or Chevy I had. Americans can make good cars if they are designed right.

I don't know the details of that proposed deal. My guess is that GM is trying to use it to get a bigger inroad into the Chinese market, probably by creating a "Chinese Owned" subsidiary or something like that to get around the "Chinese Content" requirements.

I seriously doubt that will help jobs here though. I expect any GM cars sold to the Chinese through that deal will be made and assembled in China. The best I would hope is that the profits GM might make through that deal might be used to help keep Pineapple Mama's GM plant afloat in the US.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by