General question about sexing chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nova022, Jan 10, 2013.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    My Speckled Sussex is 3 months old and I recently started to question it's gender. She has always looked like a pullet in build and color but I have noticed that she really stands up tall with her neck stretched when the older girls confront her and she always takes the lead when her little flock interacts with the birds from the original flock. (I have five 5 month old pullets and four 3 month old pullets who live side by side in seperate pens, but sometimes co-mingle.)

A couple days ago I noticed the sussex perched on the ramp with her neck stretched and her mouth opened like she was trying to crow, but there was no sound.

Yesterday I noticed that the feathers on her neck looked like they were moulting very heavily. (My EE did this when it got its beard and muffs) and I wondered if this meant the hackles were getting ready to come in. None of my older pullets did this and I wondered if this could be a sign that the sussex is a cockrel instead of a pullet?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pic?

sounds like it was just adjusting its crop and wants to be high in the pecking order. pullets/hens do fight like cockerels/roosters do just not as bad.

what do the wings look like?

roo:
    [​IMG]

pullet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks, I will post some current pictures when it stops raining, but I do have one when she was about 2 months old. Do you think the moulting is something to worry about? It is only on the neck.
    [​IMG]

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i wouldn't worry yet but could be a sign its gonna have long slender saddles and hackles as this is the time when 2ndary sex characteristics do come in

i cant tell by that pic as i am looking for wing coloring right now. a cockerels wings will be 2 toned in coloring with a darker redder coloring in the wing bow (upper portion of wings), if you look at the pics above you will be able to see this compared to the pullet pictured .

5. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I will look more closely tonight and post some pictures. Just from memory I think she looks more like the pullet in your pictures now. She is getting more speckled and still has rounded feathers. I don't think her comb and wattles are any larger than they were in the Nov. picture.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a pullet to me.

7. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I think so too, but just wondered if the missing feathers on the neck were where she is moulting for hackles and whether the neck stretching is her trying to crow. Here are pictures from today. She is about 13 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks pullety

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Pullet (I think)