General question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thumbless, Nov 11, 2009.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    How long before eggs will start stinking as I think the chicken eggs may be dead, the duck eggs I put in there are doing very very well even though I can only get the humidity up to 49% I may try to add another thing of water and another sponge.

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the stinkage can happen anytime, if you get a dead chick insid eone of the eggs and the heat bloats it up it will crack the egg and leak out the most horific smell, but be careful this is just the beggining, as the eggs do explode to reuining your bator and other good eggs so i suggest to make sure you dont have any eggs ready to explode you candle to see if movemnt is going on especially if it is aproaching day 23 with no action

3. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I'm just on day 11 so far, eggs seem to be normal size right now.

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok well just keep a eye on them till day 18 when they go on lock down, and if nothing happens from an egg when entering into the 23rd day or when you are taking the already hatched chicks out, candle the egg if you see movement its good if not check back in half hour to an hour to see if you see movement again, if you dont see eathier you mite head a deacesed chick, but if you want you can wait another day, just make sur eyou keep an eye on the egg and check for cracks or leaking ooze, and smell threw the vent holes of the bator for an awful smell, and trust me if your egg goes bad you will know it

5. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I dont think the chickens eggs are dead yet I candled again today and I can see a air sack now is this a good sign?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by