General Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenSnake, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Hey guys, thought I'd move this question over here since it seems more applicable. Are there any certifications or associations that I could become a part of if I'm thinking about showing? I havent gotten any birds yet and I'm new to the chicken breeding/showing scene, but it really appeals to me. If there are any books you might reccomend I'd be interested in that as well.

Thanks!

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You should seriously look at the APA for standard or Bantams, the ABA for Bantams and the breed club for the breed you settle with. All are great sources of information and very supportive of efforts.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You should also get the American Standard of Perfection book. That will show you what your flock needs to be like to be considered Show Quality. The book runs about $60.

4. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Yea I was looking for maybe a used copy of the American Standard but there wasn't any I could find and my local library doesn't carry it either. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy it outright. Thanks guys!

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:The APA and ABA both have published standards. The ABA has a larger number of accepted varieties than the APA so be sure to get the Standard that applies to what you aworking with. If they are to be Bantam birds get the ABA Standard, if they are Large Fowl get the APA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by