General Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LibRat, Aug 1, 2013.

1. LibRat

LibRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Illinois
    How old are roosters when they start to show aggressive behavior? And if they are going to be aggressive will it show by then or will they one day a year later just decide to be a jerk? I'm just wondering. My Pigpen is 6 months old and he's never shown any aggression yet. (except the foot pecking but he's not being aggressive about it-just a peck then he looks at me like "I'm sorry was that your foot?" and goes about his business)
    Thanks!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    not all roos show aggression. since hes at 6 months i woudnt worry but he may change. normally around the time they start to mate with the hens is the time they will show aggresion or not.

3. LibRat

Apr 23, 2013
    Illinois
    He's been mating for a little while now. It's just him and one hen so they both get a lot of one on one from us so maybe that helps. They are more family pets than just chickens lol I just worry cuz he's been dancing for us and a lot of posts say cull them or get rid of them or boot em in the [email protected]@ but all he does is one circle then lays his head in our lap. That doesn't seem aggressive to me....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    my roo does that too his hens as like a mating dance funny to watch! [​IMG]. i dont think hes being agressive as long as your not nervous or afraid of im which clearly your not he should be fine.

5. LibRat

Apr 23, 2013
    Illinois
    Ok! Thanks that is a big relief :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by