1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

general questions about mixing and culling

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lehouseofdog, Sep 9, 2016.

1. lehouseofdog

lehouseofdog In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2016
    richmond va
    I have a new set of babies and a few older that are ready to go outside. My question is when can I put them in with an older hen? And the second question is about that hen and her rooster. They are from my first set of eggs this spring when I wasn't sure I wanted to get into quail - turns out I did. They are very skittish, VERY skittish. They don't like to be handled, panic easily, bounce around in the cage like they are going to die when I go to catch them, trade out their dust bath or food bowl or even change out their water.

I've been very careful with the new ones, making sure I handle them a lot and so far they aren't skittish at all. They tolerate being handled very well and don't constantly try to escape my hands like the older pair. Should I cull the older pair (really give them to a friend with an aviary along with some of the 4 week olds I'm not keeping). I hesitate to do it because the hen is a good layer. They are just so **** skittish, I'm afraid that will rub off on the new ones.

Should I just say goodbye to these two? It's really no fun trying to handle them

2. Everlong

Everlong In the Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Give them away. What do you mean a good layer? My 5 quail lay 5 eggs a day. Once in a blue moon I will get 4.

3. lehouseofdog

lehouseofdog In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2016
    richmond va
    Thanks, I will. By good layer, I mean she was/is consistent. I had another hen who was a nicer hen but she would not lay consistently. So Thank you. I am going to keep a couple more of this set of babies and then give away both of them today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by