General Questions re: one month olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunnyabc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Hello All ... I often find myself wondering if I'm doing things right. I have a small batch of questions that I'd love feedback on. I figured rather than a bunch of threads I could ask in one? Hope this is ok!

1) I have been using pine chips in their brooder? Is there another material they should be shifting to?

2) Still on heat lamp up high at night and they are huddled together underneath it to sleep. Fairly avg 60-65 deg in basement. They seem so unhappy when I turn it off yet I’ve seen many posts saying they should be totally off the lamp by 4 weeks?! I have been taking them on "day trips" to the outside run when temps are 55-65 and they love it but intermittently huddle on top of each other in corner to nap. The temps at night dip into the low 40's. Would it be wise to graduate them in a week or so into the coop-run with a heat lamp or MHP (don't have one yet but happy to get) in the coop for night warmth? I worry about this jump because they are accustomed to 65ish degrees 24/7.

3) How long for medicated chick feed? Would like to move into organic feed but not sure what or when.

4) I’ve been using our backyard dirt dried out in oven (as it’s quite wet) for Dust bath. After sifting the larger stones out I end up with a powder fine and dust. It’s a bit hard to breathe when they get things stirred up and I’m wondering if there is any harm with the chicks breathing it.

5) Sometimes the Americauna opens her beak wide like she’s yawning. Do chicks yawn or is this something else?

6) We've got a fair amount of head scratching and feather preening happening. Is that normal or might they have mites? I have put them in the outdoor pen for approx 3 hours so they have been exposed to the out doors.

7) How much chick scratch is too much? They just love it but don't want to overdo.

So many thanks! Amy

2. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Hi!
    1) Pine chips are fine, as well as straw. Straw can be cheaper depending on where you live.
    2) I think the 4 week cutoff is maybe for warmer places, seems early to me...
    I think it's fine to leave the heat lamp, especially if they're not fully feathered.
    3) ?? Maybe do some web research.... I don't think it matters but I could be wrong
    4) Also not sure... Sorry.
    5) Sometimes chickens yawn to help swallow larger chunks of food. Normal in most cases, although it can also be a sign of worms in the throat or some other obstruction. As long as she doesn't do it constantly I wouldn't be that worried.
    6) Most chickens just like preening in general, and if their head feathers are coming in they might be a little itchy because of that.
    5) Scratch or other treats should be no more than 10% of their diet. They can also have fruits chopped up very small, scrambled eggs, and grass clumps as long as they also have grit. Be sure to research what fruits they can have! Mine LOVE apples.

Sunnyabc likes this.
  3. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Thank you SO much!

4. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Free Ranging

Jan 21, 2016
    Ravenclaw Common Room
    My Coop
    1) Absolutly fine! It's actually reccomended by most people to use shavings.
    2) Lower the heat lamp a bit, If thy are huddled underneath!
    3) Im not sure.
    4) Thats probably to dusty! Chickens have Air Sacks, not lungs, so anything to dusty may cause a URI, Or CRI!
    5) Sometimes baby chicks, or even adults do that.
    6) chickens LOVE to preen! I wouldn't be worried.
    7) How much are you giving to them? I would only give a handful or two a day.

Sunnyabc likes this.
  5. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Thank you so much! On #4 especially !!! They’ve only had 2 dust baths so hopefully I haven’t caused damage :(

6. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    I guess I should ask next.... should I just use sand for dust bath? I keep reading big pros and cons (mostly cons) about DE

7. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Free Ranging

Jan 21, 2016
    Ravenclaw Common Room
    My Coop
    Children's Play sand is great!
    HA
    Don't read those. A lot of people are stuck to the old ways. Just sprinkle a little bit of food grade DE in the play sand.

Sunnyabc likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: