generalised care

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by random, Feb 6, 2009.

1. random

random Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    australia
    as a generalisation, what r some signs and symtoms that indicate various problems chickens can have...i.e mites, worms, a "cold", umm i noticed something called scales or leg scales???
    not that my chooks r sick just im new to this and like to gather lots of info and generalised knowledge on keeping the healthiest chooks i can.
    i feel confident that they r happy, content and healthy but how do i know for sure?
    ta

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Welcome! [​IMG]

You can learn almost anything you want to know by going to the SEARCH option on the tool bar above. Just type in a leading word or phrase and all the threads on that subject will come up.
    There are also books available Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, Chickens in Your Backyard, that are helpful too. I'm sure other members can recommend more.

I spend a lot of time on BYC just reading the threads and what people do for treatment on illnesses and have learned a ton. Also info on feeding, coop design, weather proofing, predator control.

Good luck with your new flock and there are plenty of great folks on here to help with any questions you'll have on keeping them healthy and content in the future.
    [​IMG]

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I go out to my coop, these are the things I look for which indicate a problem or sickness:

Chicken by itself, fluffed up, head pulled in, eyes closed, moving slow or not at all, not eating or drinking

Chicken not walking easily. You learn what "normal" chicken behavior and movement looks like, by just watching the flock when they are free ranging or just in their yard, then you can very easily spot abnormal movement or walking

Listen for coughing, sneezing, wheezing - good time to listen is in the evening after they've settled down to roost

A chicken that doesn't leave the hen house to go out into the yard, even when treats are being given out

Missing feathers or bald patches on back, head, tail, rump

Discharge from eyes, nose, mouth

Breathing with mouth open

These are some of the things that I watch for on an everyday basis. If I see a chicken doing any of these things, I bring her inside and do a more through examination. The ease with which I can catch her tells some things too.

Depending on symptoms and the course of treatment I pursue, I usually put her in my isolation cage in my house for several days. That way I can very closely moniter what she eats and drinks. This also allows me to give her medicine in her drinking water without having to medicate the whole flock. And by having her in the house, I pay close attention to her general behavior and improving or worsening condition.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

4. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I think the two best things to do are:
    1. spend time with your chickens every day if possible. Even if you only have time to do chores (feeding and cleaning waterers), take time to watch chickens and see how they are. Be familiar so you know when something is different = different often being the first signs that something is wrong.

2. Read read read. If you don't have access to books, then make a point to read the emergency post section here - you will really get an education. In other posts you will learn about feeding, space, cleanliness, housing, warmth, etc - pretty much everything you will need to know to be a good chicken owner.

enjoy!

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I was told this from a guy who has had poultry of all different kinds, all his life, Pay close attention to their eyes, cloudy, watery, milky, unclear, puffy, swollen eyes, any of the signs is the first signs something is wrong with the bird. Unclear eyes, (meaning the eyes dont look clear and normal) usually means something is wrong. Ive followed that rule of thumb and have always had healthy birds. [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Excellent list, thank you, Sarah! [​IMG] I also recommend the Index in the blue bar above- all the topics are thoroughly covered and well organized.

7. random

random Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    australia
    ta for that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by