1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genes, Legs, Feathers... What? This bird is killing me.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delawaregirl09, Nov 4, 2009.

1. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a pullet that is a mix between a Buff Orpington Rooster and a Red Star hen.... soooooo..... why does she have green legs? There were about four pullets like her, but no roosters or anything like her [​IMG]

The Dad:
    [​IMG]
    What the moms looked like:
    [​IMG]
    The pullet and her brother:
    [​IMG]
    The pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could anyone know about this? I just dont know what to do.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I do not see her legs being green!They are a litle slate from Sex Link mama but skin is white like her father's.

3. delawaregirl09

Well, I didnt mean green per say, but they are not white, like her brothers and dads and moms. They are slate, but how would that come from her sex link mother.

4. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    Looks like mom may have had some Aracauna in her, that might explain the off color.

5. delawaregirl09

Im not sure, there were only 3 or 4 with the bluey slatey leg color, as they grew. They were white then changed. I'm not sure if there were more since I sold a bunch as chicks. Also, the brother in the pic above, I think he sired some babies in my group because three of the chicks have slate legs, and one is actually more green.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The rooster (father) carries the sex linked dermal melanin gene and a sex linked dermal inhibitor gene. Because he is heterozygous (split) he can give the gene that causes the blue legs (dermal melanin gene) to his daughters and his sons. The blue legged birds have white skin. All of the offspring from the first cross carry a recessive yellow skin gene so if the offspring are crossed with a yellow skin bird- some of the offspring will have yellow skin and green legs.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those legs are white-ish looking to me. Slate legs are much darker. Some white legs can have an ashen or a pinkish appearance depending on the breed and laying status.

8. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Great answers.My mind was thinking in elementary terms like Yellow plus slate blue greyish equals green. I need to get up more on the genetics.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Correct. The proper term for green legs is willow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by