Genesis 1588 How do i treat the red plug???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, Jan 2, 2010.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    well i FINALLY moved up from my little giant forced air with turner to a 1588 genesis with the same turner. Now with the little giant it had 2 red plugs..the top and the bottom. The top plug where my fan was at really controlled the temp and humidity when i took it out. Some times to get to get the perfect temps and readings i would take the top plug out and cover half the hole with tape so i could get good oxygen flow without losing my 99.5. My question is, during the incubator process, do i just leave the plug in? Same with hatching to hold my humidity? To me my Genesis seems WAY more air tight when closed than my old little giant, so it kinda makes me think the eggs will not get the right ammount of fresh air/oxygen during the incubation and "hopeful" hatch period. Or am i just being silly and over thinking it? thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I keep mine out all the time.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Yup, pop it out and forget about it.

4. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:really??? what does that do to your humidity?? i bet you constantly have to watch it

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I keep mine out all the time as well. The humidity stays pretty stable with them out.

Bluemoon

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:really??? what does that do to your humidity?? i bet you constantly have to watch it

Yep really. I just check it daily I add a bit of water 2 or maybe 3 times during the first 18 days and then a wet sponge the last three to bump it up to about 60%.

7. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:man this is just blowing my mind! lol, i thought with it out that my temp would no longer be stable

8. Bluemoon420

Temps are stable too. I'm running the incubator right now for a test hatch. I'm doing the dry hatch method this time, but last hatch I didn't have the plugs in either. It holds temps and humidity stable as can be either way.

Bluemoon

9. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    When hatching duck eggs do you leave the plug in to increase the humidity? I just got a hova-bator 1588 as well and I was under the impression that removing it was only to facilitate the drying process once the eggs hatch. Currently I have 28 runner duck eggs in the bator, the red plug is in, and the humidity is stable at around 68%. I candled a few yesterday, (day 5 ) And everything seems to be going well so far. [​IMG]

10. Bluemoon420

Duck eggs I don't know much about. I promised my daughter no water fowl. ( Long Story) Hopefully, someone who knows more than I do about that can chime in. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by