Genesis 1588 Humidity Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tail_feather, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I got my 1588 in the mail today. I just plugged it in. I have not added the water yet. Can anyone tell me how much water to put in on the first day??? Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Anyone at all?

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    There is a clear plastic liner in the bottom. You fill the "C" channel. Check the instructions that came with it. It doesn't really matter how full the channel is, just as long as it doesn't overflow, or run dry.

4. rbseggs

rbseggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    fill the one trough that is the longest in the bottom. This is the only one that you will fill until a few days before the hatch.

5. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Do you fill that channel completely full? Thanks for the info!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you don't have your thermometer/hygrometer yet just fill the C channel a fourth of the way til you get one. It won't hurt not having low humidity for a day or so. Then check against the hygrometer and you can either add more water or take some out.

7. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Hi,
    I just started using the 1588 a couple of weeks ago; I filled the "C" channel with 6 ounces of water and started it up. I have a thermo-hygrometer (from Walmart) in the 'bator & it adjusted to 99.5 temp & 45% humidity. Now, I add just 2 ounces of hot water at a time to maintain the humidity. I use an extra long drinking straw attached to a small funnel that runs through the airhole (take red plug out) down through my egg turner and metal screen to the "C" channel. I used a permanent marker to outline the channel (marked the underside) so that I could see it. Hope this helps. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    nice set up, Sunnychic

9. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    SunnyChic that is a great idea. I have a 1588, too, and I am going to try your way. [​IMG]

10. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks! The hardest part was seeing the clear plastic channels, until I took them out, turned them over and colored the different channels with different colored markers. When I get to day 18 (I'm still on my first hatch! [​IMG]), I'm going to run aquarium tubing to one of the square channels to help up the humidity (I did a practice run with it before I added eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by