Genesis 1588 Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coopa Cabana, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    How can I LOWER the humidity in my Genesis 1588? I'm still on day 1 (just set 8 bantam eggs last night). I filled only the center reservoir as instructed, and the vent plug is out (I'm in Colorado - high altitude and dry air). The instructions say that SURFACE area of water control the humidity, not the amount of water, so reducing the amount of water in the center probably won't work. Should I empty out all the water, and try one of the outer reservoirs? Oh - the hygrometer is reading 70%!!! I'd like to get it down to around 50% (I think). Maybe the hygrometer is too close to the water? Where do you put the hygrometer when you have an auto-turner? (The temp seems to be holding fine.) Thanx!

2. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:I have my hygrometer sitting on top of the turner but my incubator isn't full. Mine stays at 36 percent unless I need to add water then it drops down to 22 percent. Don't know if I would start over. I would say it's the hygrometer. Mike

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    hmm 70% on the center alone? Try it dry, or try just adding 1/3 cup of water in the center instead of filling it all the way to the top

4. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    If you haven't calibrated your hygrometer try that.
    Got the link in my signature below.
    Carolyn

5. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Thank you all. It's been a couple of hours now since I 1) took out a lot of the water; 2) Put the digital reader inside the bator on the turner (rather than using the sensor), and 3) Added a second (dial) hygrometer. The digital now reads 60%, and the dial reads 63%. I was told that at this altitude and dry air, I should run between 50 and 60%, and go to 90% at lockdown. Hopefully, this will do the trick - at least its not running at 75% anymore. This is my first time using this bator - at least the temp is running good, and the turner is working. And it's all very quiet, too. Guess I'll know how I did in a week on my 1st candle. I really thought she was going to brood these eggs, so I had to get this set up real fast before I lost viability.

6. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Quote:Did you maybe spill a little water somewhere in the incubator while you were getting it set up? Or maybe it was damp inside from having been washed in preparation? Or, perhaps the eggs were giving off some moisture of their own....

Anyway, sounds like you've got it down, but keep checking, as it may dip down if any of these were the case.

Have you researched the humidity levels you are using, as far as Colorado climate goes? I ask this because the shells of eggs laid in our climate and high altitude will have large air cells to begin with (in order to more effectively let in oxygen and humidity) and you may find that running that high of humidity in the bator will risk drowning the embryos. Eggs laid at sea level have very, very small air cells and they need the high humidity while incubating to match their environment of origin. But in a dry climate, you have eggs already appropriate to lower humidity and higher altitude. One of mother nature's miracles. Bet you didn't know your hens were so schmart.......

Rosemary

7. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hi Rosemary!!!
    I've been trying to follow Shylee's advice for Colorado incubating that she has posted on her BYC page. It's for a forced-air foam incubator, which is what this is. Tango's still laying, and they should still be fertile for a few more days, as Pappy went back out to the coop Wednesday night. Hopefully, she'll go broody and set the remaining eggs she lays.
    But you're correct - her page doesn't specify whether the instructions are for eggs laid at sea level and shipped in, or layed here at high altitude. I always figured the reason I had so much problem hatching eggs shipped in from sea level was due to what the change in air pressure was doing to the air sacs. And I've also always wondered how the altitude affects the temperature - we all know that 99.5 at this altitude is lower than 99.5 at sea level.

8. lana3k

lana3k Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Parma, Ohio
    Hello Rosemarry, I am having same problem. Meaning incubator is running of. I have genesis 1588. The temperature is at 85 and humidity is at 90%.
    I just cleaned incubator foamy bottom part. I literally soaked in hot watter for 15 min than wiped off and turned on. So that could be the reason based on what you said here. Please let me know how to correct this.
    I have eggs sitting in box, got delivered today. So left that persons house 3days ago. Why knows how old they wore before shipping. I really need to put them in, don't want them to go bad.

Those are coturnix eggs, if that makes any difference.

Please help. New at this

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

the incubator is soaked in water. it will take a day to get down remove all water from the wells. remove plugs.

the humidity is not affected by water depth but by water surface area and its ability to evaporate.

98.5 degrees is 98.5 degrees at any altitude.

the best way to judge an egg's process is by its weight. it needs to lose 13% of its weight during its hatch.

adjust the humidity to achieve this. most people toss the bator's instructions ans aim for a humidity of 30-40%

sally sunshines hatching 101 artice will help you a lot.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by