Genesis 1588 humming loudly and rattling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SGM, Nov 22, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Does anyone else have this problem. I did notice it just a little with the first run. But it would stop quickly and not do it again for a long time. So when I cleaned it out after the last hatch and set it back up, it started it ernest. Now it does it all the time and doesn't stop. Sometimes it kind of stops and then, like as soon as you turn your back it does it again. I've moved all the wires and things around. Even tapped it a few times while adding water etc. But I can't just take it apart because there's eggs in it.

Only thing I did differently was change the setting. I noticed my eggs always hatching early and the temp seemed a little high so I went down one setting which shouldn't be more than a 1/2 to full degree lower.

2. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a fan that's banging on something maybe?

3. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    There is a fan in it, but I am guessing something is loose or something. We have had it going pretty good today though. I hope it stays.

4. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Ok, its just occured to me that I calibrated the thermometer/hygrometer after turning the bator off last time. So now I'm wondering if my bator isn't really just fine, but the thermometer might be messed up. UH!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I found a thermometer that reads correctly and put it in. It reads right so I guess the problems with the temperature that I've been having are due to the piece of crap Accurite thermometer. [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine has been humming quite loudly too but no rattling as of yet [​IMG] My husband made me move it downstairs because he could not stand the humming [​IMG] I don't know if the humming is normal or not. Obviously it will do some humming but how loud I have no idea

7. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I guess its the large window and all the parts making the hum. Mine wasn't really rattling much, just very loudly humming and changes in the humming sound.

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Sometimes the screws work loose, check and see if they are all tight, and the little keepers are all tight.

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've got two...both hum, but one is definately louder than the other.

10. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    My hubby brought home a high grade water thermometer from work and I put it in and it reads perfectly 100 degrees to 100.5 so that and the other good thermometer are both reading 100 - 100.5 so I'm happy to know that! Shew! Its not rattling, still humming but not as loudly as before. Thanks everyone! Nice to know its only doing what its suppose to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by