1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genesis issue with stuck chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teamsunbelt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I have run a few hatches through my Genesis. The hatch rate is far better than i expected, all three ranging in the 75% range, my second hatch was about 90%.

My problem has accurred each time, this time with 3 chicks. They pip and zip, and then hang around until they get shrink wrapped. I think the fan is the reason they dry out. All the others jump right out. If they rest too long, stuck.

I dry incubate and then raise the humidity to at 70%, usually stays about 74-78%.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I had to help 3 out this morning. I put them back in the incubator. Came home to them stuck to the bottom. A good warm bath got them cleaned up, and back in for drying out. I hope they do well.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    How long did you wait after the eggs pipped before you helped the chicks? Did you open the incubator to get chicks out while some eggs were pipped or hatching?

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I've had that happen with my Genesis 1588 that I use as a hatcher, typically with black copper marans. It does seem like it's the fan. I try to place my eggs towards the middle. Eggs near the sides appear to get more air movement.

4. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I do space mine around the outside in egg cartons. I will shoot for the middle next time.

Is there no way to cut the fan off for hatching?

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    If you disable the fan, then you are still air hatching. I've never had good luck with that method. Maybe a still air expert will chime in. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by