Genetic/color question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Mar 27, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    My duck hen is a cross of magpie and khaki, and looks like a black swede. ( Black with white bib) I just got a drake for her today that is a cross of mallard and pekin. He too looks like a black swede. (Black with white bib also) He is much larger than her. My question is will all their offspring look like them or will there be a variety of colors from this pairing?

2. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    My thought is since they are not purebred anything, they won't breed true. So the offspring will be a mixed bag of anything in their back ground they have in common as well as black & white bibbed ones. I guess time will tell. I'm hoping with magpie and pekin in the back ground I might get some spotted ones. Anconas are my favorite duck.

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    They won't be a true breed, they will be mutts. They should have similar coloring as the parents, but again it won't be a full breed. [​IMG]

EAT: To add more to the original question: They will range in different colors, but a lot should still look like the parents, however there is a possibility you might get some spotted/different looking ones.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    You'll probly get a mix bag

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by