genetic color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1Chick Magnet, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am planning on crossing mottled and millie fleur. does anyone know what color chicks I would get? would they have speckles?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, they'll all have white mottling on them. They'll hatch out mostly brown in color but for the white from the mottling, and mature to be mostly black birds, mottled, with some orange leakage in the neck, and in males likely the wings and saddle too.

3. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thankyou so much for the reply. that sounds beautiful. have you done this before?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sort of. I've done it with colors other than Mille Fleur but close enough to get the similar results. Black (mottled) x most any other brown/black color combo usually gives the same results of black birds with some random leakage. Add in mottling and viola. The amount of leakage in the offspring depends on the other color crossed with the mottled bird though.

5. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    the birds I want to use are hatchery so hopfully the colors are pure. I will be using a black mottled old english game over a milliefleur d'uccle hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by