Genetic deformity- Barred rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smallflockchickens, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Smallflockchickens

Smallflockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Hi, i got my barred rock in mid September so its a little over 3 months now. Shes a nice and sweet hen but since the first few weeks i got her i've notice some weird things such as her comb being just.... different from the other i've had in the past. its not that she has a different comb, (such as a rose or a pea) but that its basically a normal comb, but at the top instead of a straight line of i dont know the right term for this... but comb ridges?? (sorry for the terminology:p) instead of a straight line, she has 3 coming out at the same spot on the top of her head! i've also noticed that her toes almost "lean" in when he walks and when she was little she never closed her beak all the way (but now i think thats better) ill try and post pics, but im not sure how to haha! thanks for your input!! [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Doesn't sound like a deformity, just sounds like you have a Dominique instead of a Rock [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Or, could be she has side sprigs. We'd have to see a picture when you're able to post one to be sure.

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:I think that is a rosecomb...

5. Smallflockchickens

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    okay! thanks [​IMG] , another thing if she was a barred rock, i also thought that they had bright yellow legs, hers are more of a greenish grey. im not sure if that means shes a mix? or just not a barred.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Likely a mix.

I know Dom's have a rose comb but not all like like a typey rose comb, and not everyone can describe a rose comb too well or understand it vs a pea comb. [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have a "Barred-Rock" with a pea comb. Her hatch mate has a rose comb and their Rooster has a single comb.
    [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a modified rose comb [​IMG] Which proves my saying, rose combs, pure or not, can vary. Just as peas can.

I'm sure cross breeding Dom x Rock in hatcheries happens often, so it isn't a seriously rare thing to get a "Rock" with a non-single comb.

9. Smallflockchickens

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    haha im not even sure anymore [​IMG] i am pretty new to this so i could be totally wrong!! [​IMG] ill try and post a pic as soon as i can!

10. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Or single combed Dom-in-ick-ers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by